Contact Eczema Treatment, Allergic Contact Dermatitis Treatment



Contact eczema is also called allergic contact eczema (allergic contact dermatitis) if the trigger is an allergen and irritant contact eczema (irritant contact dermatitis) if the trigger is an irritant.Examples of allergic contact eczema include skin reactions to poison ivy and poison sumac. People who have a history of allergies have a higher risk for developing contact eczema.

Contact eczema or allergic contact dermatitis is caused due to factors like
• nickel - a white metal often used in jewellery, , metal watch straps, bra fasteners belt buckles, jean studs,. Many other metals can also cause reactions.
• perfumes - Balsam of Peru is perfume component that can cause contact allergy.
• rubber and related chemicals - shoes, tyres and clothing.
• potassium dichromate - cement, leather and matches.
• hairdressing chemicals (paraphenylenediamine).
• plants - both by direct contact and by contact with airborne particles
• medications - lanolin, neomycin (antibiotic), steroid creams, fusidic acid (antibiotic), and cetearyl alcohol (used in emollient creams).
• epoxy resins - in glues used in hobbies, woodworking and glass fibre construction.
• colophony - resin from spruce trees, used in sticking plaster adhesive.



Food products like meat and poultry, flour or dough, certain fruits and peels also have allergens that cause contact eczema. Sometimes the components in skin treating medicines like hydrocortisone in steroid creams and lanolin in moisturizers can also cause eczema. So if you find that your condition is not improving despite medication, you need to alter the medication.

• Many people believe that you cannot be allergic to a product that you have used everyday for many years. This is not true. At any time your skin can become allergic to one of the many substances in the product, even though you may have used for prolonged periods of time

• Often, a skin rash may break out on your face even though you dint put that allergen on your face. If you put the allergic substance to your face and then touch your face, the allergen can lead to a reaction due to the fact that the skin on our hands is thicker than that of the face, especially around the eyelids.

Contact eczema rash is seen at the place of skin contact with the allergen. Later it moves and extends to skin areas away from the contact site. This is due to the fact that immune cells are stimulated and move out through the bloodstream to other areas.

When examining reasons for contact eczema or allergic contact dermatitis, find out the history behind rash formation.Now if you see a red rash beneath the area where you put your ear-ring, you know for a fact that the nickel ring was the problem.. At other times, especially if a long period has elapsed since the first exposure and sensitization, it may be difficult to differentiate contact allergic eczema from other types of eczema.

Treatment for contact eczema and allergic contact dermatitis
If the results of allergy testing show that that the cause can be removed, you can definitely control contact eczema. Moisturizers and steroid creams work but it depends on the extent of sensitization and frequency in which the allergen is exposed to the person.

The most common treatment for contact eczema or allergic contract dermatitis is a cortisone ointment. In severe cases, systemic corticosteroids may be needed to reduce inflammation. These are usually decreased gradually over about 12 days to prevent reappearance of the rash. Apart from corticosteroid skin treatment, your doctor may also recommend tacrolimus ointment or pimecrolimus cream.Wet dressings and soothing anti-itch (antipruritic) or drying lotions can also reduce other symptoms.

Contact dermatitis usually clears up without complications within 2 or 3 weeks, but may come back if the substance or material that caused it cannot be identified or avoided. Changing occupational habits may be essential if the disorder is caused by occupational exposure.

Meet your doctor after two weeks because if overused the treatment can lead to thinning of the skin. If your skin is responding well to medication, he will give a lower power medication. After the symptoms are gone, look out for the chemical that you were allergic to. Introduce the suspicious products one by one, at a week’s gap. Apply it on a small area of the skin to find out;once you find out what it is, stop using it and there wont be any problems.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes Powered by Blogger | My Healthy Feeling